Here are the detailed instructions to install it.
As the Nexus One's radio image has to be flashed to the Froyo's one, the instructions to follow are the ones Cyanogen gives for a first install, starting from step 2 with a wipe on step 4 :
- First time flashing CM to your Nexus (or coming from another ROM)?
1. Unlock your device and install Clockwork Recovery or Amon_RA's recovery image
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Update your radio if necessary
5. Install the ROM
5. Optionally install the Google Addon
If it's the first time flashing your Nexus, start from step 1 !! Directions can be found in the post Nexus One - CyanogenMod For Nexus One V22.214.171.124 (03/23/2010).
It may be useful to read the full process here How to Root Your Nexus One as well as other resources I have used for the initial root of my Nexus
Nexus One - CyanogenMod For Nexus One V126.96.36.199 (03/23/2010). Detailed instructions on the Cyanogen firmware upgrade process can also be found in my other post
Nexus One - how to upgrade to CyanogenMod-5 [stable 5.0.6 version of 04/15/2010] - detailled instructions.
So let's start :
- first, prepare everything that is needed. Download all the images : CyanogenMod 5.0.8-N1 latest version, EPF30+ Google Addon and FRF50 Radio Firmware
- check the MD5 checksum of the CyanogenMod 5.0.8-N1 and FRF50 Radio Firmware files with a
md5 the file to checkon the command line
- connect your Nexus to your computer and mount it turning on USB storage mode, then copy the CyanogenMod 5.0.8-N1 and EPF30+ Google Addon files to the root of your SDcard but leave the FRF50 Radio Firmware on your computer as it will be flashed using a “
fastboot flash radio the radio .img file” command from your computer's command line
- ensure the fastboot utility is in your PATH. The fastboot utility is not in the standard Android SDK on Mac but it can be found in the SuperBoot image which contains a fastboot version for Mac, Linux and Windows. Choose the one that pertains to your platform and put it in the
android/toolsdirectory, renaming it simply as
- proceed with step 2 : the Nandroid backup. Follow detailed instructions from step 5 to step 11 of the post Nexus One - how to upgrade to CyanogenMod-5 [stable 5.0.6 version of 04/15/2010] - detailled instructions
- at then end of step 11, on screen "android system recovery", use the track ball to choose power off item (the last one), then press the track ball to select the option, and press the track ball a second time on the question to confirm the power off
- let's proceed with step 3 : update your radio. The following is based on instructions from How to Root Your Nexus One
- Boot the phone while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key. The screens turns white with 3 green Androids skating at the bottom of the screen. FASTBOOT is hilighted in blue. Press power button to enter fastboot mode.
- on your computer, open a command line shell. Navigate to the directory where the
radio-4.06.00.12_7.imgradio image has been stored. Then enter the command
./fastboot flash radio radio-4.06.00.12_7.img. The fastboot command starts by sending the radio image and display a status
sending 'radio' (26112 KB)... OKAY, then writes the radio image ans display a status
writing 'radio'... OKAY.
- back on your Nexus, select POWER DOWN item on the FASTBOOT USB screen using VOL DOWN key, then press power button.
- time to proceed with step 4 : WIPE. Reboot in RECOVERY mode by pressing power button while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key. The screens turns white with 3 green Androids skating at the bottom of the screen. FASTBOOT is hilighted in blue. Press VOL DOWN key to hilight RECOVERY, then press power button. The Nexus boot screen (the 4 colors cross) appears followed by the Cyan "Android system recovery" screen
- Use the trackball to hilight the "Wipe" item then press the trackball. On the "Choose wipe item" screen, wipe everything as stated on step 6 Wipe of How to Root Your Nexus One.
- select the first open and press the scrollball
- press the scrollball again to confirm
- then repeat for all items on the Wipe page
Press the Down-volume button to return to the prior menu.
- it's time to proceed with step 5 : install the ROM. Back to the "Android system recovery" cyan screen, use the trackball to select item "Flash zip from sdcard", then press the trackball.
- the screen "Choose update ZIP file" shows the 2 zip files
gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zipthat were written on the SDcard at the beginning of the process. Select the "update-cm-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip" then press the trackball to install it, pressing the trackball another time to confirm.
- continue with step 5 again : optionally install the Google Addon.perform the same steps another time to install the
gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zipthat contains Google's apps.
- Back to the "Android system recovery" cyan screen, use the trackball to select item "Power off", then press the trackball to confirm.
- That's all Folks !! Reboot your Nexus and enjoy ;-)
Latest version: 5.0.8-N1 - 06/19/2010
Google Addon: EPF30+
Radio Firmware: FRF50 (FROYO RADIO, REQUIRED!)